Thin Film SPME
Solid Phase Micro Extraction (SPME) is a widely used technique for extraction and concentration of VOCs and SVOCs combined with GC/MS. SPME is especially useful in the food, flavor and beverage industries and for environmental monitoring. Recent developments focus on increased phase volumes to reach sensitivities more comparable to the GERTEL-Twister. The Thin Film SPME (TF-SPME) technology combines higher sorbent phase volumes and a large surface area based on a flat rectangular shape.
The Thin Film SPME device is a 20 x 4.8 mm carbon mesh sheet impregnated with a multi-component sorptive phase. It is placed inside a sample vial for analyte extraction in either headspace or immersion mode. The large surface area and phase volume as well as the wide polarity range of the sorptive phase result in fast extraction and improved analyte recovery. Efficient parallel sample extraction is followed by automated thermal desorption using the GERSTEL Thermal Desorption Unit (TDU 2) and GC/MS analysis.
Two phases (PDMS/DVB and PDMS/CAR) and holders for 10, 20, and 40 mL vials are available.
- Comprehensive flavor analysis of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages
- TF-SPME-GC/MS combined with SBSE covers a wide range of polarities
- Efficient parallel sample extraction and optimized analysis system utilization
- Improved work environment due to solvent-free extraction
- Efficient extraction, lower LODs, higher analyte recovery compared with SPME