GERSTEL certified by ECOPROFIT® for sustainable economic development
The concept of ECOPROFIT® is to promote the use of integrated environmental technologies to help improve the environment and simultaneously strengthen businesses economically. Companies are helped to cut their cost while making their operation more environmentally friendly by increasing their ecological efficiency.
ECOPROFIT® is based on cooperation between regional authorities, local companies and consultants. The goal is to reduce the amount of waste generated and the amount of raw materials, water, and energy used, partly through investments and partly through training programs and networking. This close co-operation enables an effective flow of information and considerable synergies.
Operational objectives and the idea of regional environmental protection are both important factors in achieving a diversified economy that can generate new jobs going forward. The economical, ecological and social values of ECOPROFIT® comply perfectly with the three dimensions of sustainable development.
GERSTEL joined the local ECOPROFIT® group in Mülheim an der Ruhr, Germany in 2009 and was officially awarded the ECOPROFIT® certificate in September 2010 by the North-Rhine-Westphalia Minister for the Environment Mr. Johannes Remmel.
Most important measures implemented by GERSTEL in connection with ECOPROFIT® certification:
- Hydraulic balancing for panel heating and cooling
- Installation of a building management system (BMS) for optimized control of heating/cooling/venting
- Optimized separation and recycling of packaging materials
- Reduced use of mixed-material packaging
- Company cars are selected based on energy efficiency
Previously implemented measaures:
- Energy savings modelled using computer simulation were implemented for insulation, cooling, heating, lighting, shade effects, use of geothermal heat pumps (both for heating and cooling) and for heat exchangers for ventilation systems. The total reductions in CO2-emissions amount to 41,400 Kg per year
- Lighting systems optimized for energy efficiency by using motion sensors to eliminate energy use for lighting of unused areas and using light sensors to reduce lighting when adequate daylight is available. Projected savings in electricity costs amount to € 15,000 / year
- Highly effective insulation installed in addition to special energy-saving window panes and blinds that reflect sunlight. Geo-thermal heating or cooling provided through 14 geothermal probes, each placed at a depth of 130 metres in the ground. Back-up is provided by a natural gas heating system. Laboratories that need to be kept at a specified temperature have been equipped with air conditioning for cooling. Energy from ventilated warm or cool air is recovered through heat exchangers that are built into the ventilation system
- GERSTEL has long-standing recycling program for paper, cardboard, polymer based packaging, production scrap metal, electronic waste, cans and bottles. Hazardous waste such as residual solvents or waste electronic products is disposed of in strict compliance with rules set up by the state of North Rhine Westphalia or by the German federal government. Such waste is collected by authorized licensed outfits only.